Redirection

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Tradwife Stuff

Last several days it was like 30+ *C outside. I made some ginger beer. I think technically it's more like ginger ale, because beer has to be fermented, doesn't it? Anyway, I was visiting a local health store on Tuesday when I found this:





A mix to make ginger beer. My husband and I both like it, but the supermarket brands have lots of sugar and other unsavoury things added, so naturally, I was quite excited to try making my own.

I added water to it (1.5 lt) and then I had to cook it until reduced in half:





After this, it needed to be strained:





and sugar had to be added, too. I tried to reduce the suggested amount (150g), but believe me, you'll need all of it to make it taste more or less decent.

After sugar got dissolved, I let it cool off a bit, added some lemon juice and poured it into the same bottle. You need to add (sparkling) water to taste, to serve it. The instruction says to dilute it 1 to 1, but we all found it too strong, so it's more like 1 part syrup, 7 parts water:








It still has a very strong taste, but is great for a hot summer day! Have you tried some new project this summer? Feel free to share!


3 comments:

  1. Instead of sugar, have you considered using honey? It's more expensive than sugar (how much more is depending on the source) but it's MUCH healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know:) But as you say, it's expensive, especially the real raw honey which I buy sometimes. The supermarket stuff is probably diluted, but we still use it for sweetening tea etc. However, for baking, making jam and the like I usually use brown sugar. It was/is still much less sweet than store-bought ginger ale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I am of Caribbean background, and one of my uncles made ginger beer from scratch. It was strong in taste; not heavily carbonated at all, but very tasty and refreshing when chilled. :)

    ReplyDelete