Redirection

Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Basic Bread Recipe

As you have probably noticed by now, I really do like baking:) This week I have been experimenting with a basic bread recipe from my cooking book. My first experiment was not very successful as I reduced both the amount of flour and water, and as a result the dough was too dry and I wasn't able to knead it properly. It didn't rise well, either, and that's what we got:

It doesn't look impressive, does it? We ate it all though, but I was determined to redeem myself, so I made one more attempt, and that's what I got the second time:


Looks quite different, doesn't it? Tastes different, too:)

Here is what I used: the basic recipe calls for 500g flour, which is about 5 cups. I used about 1c whole wheat flour + 4 c all purpose flour, 3tsp salt, 1 pkg (7g) dry yeast, 3.25dl water and 2 TBSP olive oil. As you see, the ingredients are very simple, especially comparing with the stuff they put into the bread from the store. You will need to knead it, then let rise for 30-45 min (I did 35 min both times), then knead it again, place it on a greased baking sheet and let it rise for the 2nd time. The book suggested rolling the dough into a rectangle, then rolling it up, which I did the first time, but not the second. You can also use a loaf pan (don't forget to grease it!), but I decided that I prefer my bread round.  You bake it at 240*C for about 25 minutes. When ready, brush water over it and return to the oven for 1 more minute.

Next time I'm planning to make "fine milkbread". Will write about my successes (or the lack thereof:).

No comments:

Post a Comment