Redirection

Monday, November 7, 2022

R.I.P. Vigga

 My guinea pig died this weekend. It was a very special guinea pig as she became 8 years 1 month old. Internet says they normally live 4 to 8 years but mine all died between 2 and 3 years of age, except this one.

In September she got a bladder infection which we treated  with antibiotics, she survived but was still very weak. Yet last week she started eating and drinking better and could walk better, too. 

Saturday before we left for the camping, I gave her a piece of an apple, a kiwi peel and a slice of cucumber and she ate it all and was happy. Yesterday, when we came home in the evening, she lay dead in her cage.

We had to take the car and drive to the forest and dig a grave and we buried her by the road in perfect darkness with the rain pouring down all the time. 

She had a good life and I hope she can rest now as she was really getting very old and frail...

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I never really thought of a guinea pig as much of a pet, but eight years is a long time with any animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They aren't much of a pet because they aren't very intelligent and prefer to be on their own, though they are very funny. But I do think that Vigga got really attached to me, especially that last month because I was taking care of her. And then, she'd been with us for so long. One of my cats only lived till 7, another one was stolen when he was about 4. So yes, 8 years is a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your guinea pig!

    ReplyDelete