Redirection

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Family Chocolate Cake

I call it a family cake, because it's so huge:)

I made it last week and we have eaten nearly all of it by now. It tastes especially good with a cup of coffee after dinner (or tea if you don't drink coffee):



It's easy to make, too, and what's more important, it's pretty economical!

So what do you need for this great dessert?

For the cake,

2c flour
+/- 2c sugar
2/3c cocoa powder
3tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
2 eggs
1c milk
2/3c vegetable oil (I always use virgin olive oil in all my recipes)
1tsp vanilla extract
1c coffee, cooled (I used instant decaf variety since coffee usually gives me headaches)

For the frosting:

3 oz cream cheese
4 tbsp peanut butter
+/- 2c powder sugar
2tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

To make the cake, combine dry ingredients in a bowl, add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, beat and stir. Add coffee (batter will be thin), pour into a rectangular baking pan and bake at 175*C (350*F) for ab. 40 min. Take out of the oven and let cool. Meanwhile, make the frosting.

Beat the cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth, add sugar, milk and vanilla, spread over the cake. Keep it the fridge. It's very moist and personally I find it tastes better the next day.

Recipe adapted from a magazine about home cooking which had been discontinued some years ago.

2 comments:

  1. I am making this tomorrow. Looks so yummy. Merry Christmas!
    Ramona , California USA

    ReplyDelete