Redirection

Monday, April 22, 2024

Female Authority

 “Yet consider now, whether women are not quite past sense and reason, when they want to rule over men. In a word, it is madness. For, were men made for women? It is true that today men are as channels through which God causes His grace to stream down upon women. For, from whence does labor come? From where do all the most excellent things and highly esteemed things come? To be sure, it all comes from the men’s side. So God is well pleased for men to serve the good of women, as experience shows. Yet St. Paul has an eye here to the beginning of the creation, where it was said that it was not good for the man to be alone, and that he needed someone at hand who would always be ready to help. Since God was thinking of the man, it certainly follows that the woman is only an accessory. And why? Because she was only created for the sake of man, and she must therefore direct her whole life toward him. She must confess, “I am not supposed to be without direction here, not knowing my purpose and station. Rather, I am obliged by God, if I am married, to serve my husband, and render him honor and reverence. And, if I am not married, I am bound to walk in all soberness and modesty, cognizant that men have the higher rank, and that they must rule, and that the woman who disregards this forgets the law of nature and perverts what should be observed as God commands.” This then the place to which St. Paul brings back women.”

— John Calvin, Men, Women, and Order in the Church: Three Sermons by John Calvin (Dallas: Presbyterian Heritage, 1992)

9 comments:

  1. I just did some Linked In -search, because I wanted to check a man I met in a dog park. And I remembered, how anxious I was, when I was young and working and had to make Linked In -profile and, questioning my privacy in attempt to "be someone important".

    I felt such a relief, seeing all those people with their fancy titles and knowing, that today, in the eyes of society, I am no-one. Just a mere housewife. Thank you so much, God, for letting me be one.

    I always felt, that I should be something special and make a stunning career, since I am so ridiculously smart. If I only had known that God does not care about my IQ, he wants me to stay at home and serve my husband. If he made me smart, it is because smart men need smart wifes to help them and bear smart kids.

    Now Calvin, of course, doesn't talk about women working outside home -because at his times, such nonsense wasn't invented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment, it made me laugh🐦 Smart men need smart wives..to make smart kids!
      Brilliant!! Have a blessed day.🕯️

      Delete
    2. Feminism is dysgenic because it discourages smart women from breeding. They are steered towards endless studying and careers instead. This results in overall lower IQ, except for the elites, of course...

      Delete
  2. Actually, I read somewhere that it was Egyptians who originally invented feminism as in their men stayed home and women engaged in trades and outside activities and that Greeks and Romans were really shocked to discover it. I'll try to look it up.

    Calvin had this to say about housewives:

    "Therefore let women study this lesson day and night that first of all they may play the housewives..."

    BTW, it really takes a smart woman to see through modern indoctrination, lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^Agree about indocrination. I would say that anyone who was bred feminist and disades to become housewife nevertheless, must be waayyy smarter than average person -and have waaay thicker skin and backbone made of titanium. I mean it is ultimate rebellion nowadays.

    But then again, we have God and our husbands on our side. So there is really nothing to worry bout.

    Another thought about smart women having smart kids: We should remember, that all kids were homeschooled for very long time. And not everyone could afford governer/ess. Especially in more isolated areas, it was mother's duty to educate her children. Boys, of course, started learning mens work from their father at some point.

    And even nowadays, when most kids go to school, you can always tell when parents educate them at home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The modern idea, that woman's wits are somehow wasted, if she is not climbing the corporate ladder, is such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In ancient Greek philosophy there is a concept of "arete" which means living up to one's potential. To quote Wiki:

    "The ancient Greeks applied the term arete (ἀρετή) to anything: for example, the excellence of a chimney, the excellence of a bull for breeding, and the excellence of a man. The meaning of the word changes depending on what it describes since everything has its own excellence; the arete of a man is different from the arete of a horse."

    So you see, if you believe that men and women are "equal" i.e the same/interchangeable, that, of course, women who stay home waste their intelligence. However, if one accepts the simple biological fact that men and women are different and thus have different biological and social functions, than arete of a woman is totally different from that of a man. All sane societies have always accepted it, but the modern West can hardly be considered a sane place an more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that was interesting. I remember that we had something about arete at philosphy lessons at school, but it was from the "man=all people" point of view. Obviously.

      Delete
  6. Also, if those women were as "smart" as they claimed, they'd realised paid employment sucks. There is a reason many people can't wait to retire. Men, in the meanwhile, are getting accustomed to part-time employment and, instead of bitching that their home is their prison, enjoy all this free time while their idiot wives are slaving in some office/nursing home.

    ReplyDelete