Redirection

Saturday, July 22, 2017

The Story Of Sarah And Abraham

Sarah is often criticised for giving her maidservant to Abraham to bear his child (strange enough, Leah and Rachel are never criticised for doing essentially the same), yet what she did was fully in accordance to the laws of the region they had originally inhabited.

The ancient Mesopotamian society was chiefly monogamous, yet the exception was allowed when the wife couldn't bear children. In this situation, she could give her husband a maid whose children were then considered as belonging to the lawful wife, while the maid was considered only as his mistress and could be degraded back to slavery for bad behaviour (kinda of what happened to Hagar), though she couldn't be sold.

If the wife refused to do it, her husband could take a concubine who was a free woman with full rights and would be considered as equal in status to the first wife, so it's quite obvious that Sarah's choice appeared logical to both her and her husband.

If you want to know more about Babylonian laws, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Housewife OutdoorsJuly 27, 2017 at 3:56 AM

    I have just been watching "Handmaid's Tale", which is based on Margaret Attwood's novel. It is based on the story of Sarah and Abraham. I remember that I first read the book when I was still a feminist and could really see nothing wrong with the arangement: it actually made totally sense to me.

    Now when I am watching the show I have this strange double-vision: I realize how Attwood and showmakers would want me to think about. But at the same time I realize that even though fundamentalist Gilead may be crappy place to live in, Offred's (the main character) former modern life was really quite empty, too. She obviously had very little morals ore principles and working was more important than her precious child. I wonder how happy she was, after all.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale

    That tv-show is very well made, I recommend it. It is actually very entertaining and so is the book. I must re-read now when I am wearing my "traditionalist glasses" instead of "feminist glasses".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think that the whole modern feminism is just a temper tantrum thrown by women whose men refuse to assert themselves:) Look at these spoiled Western brats running away and marrying ISIS fighters (of all things).

    Books like HT are just one giant projection of their subconscious desires since in Christian times polygamy was actually strictly forbidden and bastard children had little or no rights.

    ReplyDelete