Redirection

Sunday, August 6, 2017

What's The Use Of Crafting?






An embroidery set I bought in Germany.

Women nowadays are often taught that crafting is basically a waste of time (as opposed to the fine arts of facebooking, twittering, and other forms of attention-wh*ring online) and something for old women. A friend was ashamed once that a repairman came and saw her through the window engaged in (gasp) crocheting. Yet, doing things with your hands, like knitting or cross-stitching (or drawing or playing a musical instrument) is good for your nerves. It makes you more relaxed and helps you fight depression and even dementia.

Don't believe me? Here is what science says:
Crafting: A Cure For Depression

I can testify to the fact that I recently cured a splitting headache by just engaging in cross-stitching:)

Here is a British lady who gives you 9 reasons to start crafting:
9 reasons crafting is good for you

As for me, I'm off to tend to my guests, so see you later!

10 comments:

  1. This is good stuff, thank you for the link. Enjoy your guests!
    Blessings
    Mrs.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mrs.O., and you are welcome!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on!

    And I think coloring books for adults are doing the same thing without needing an actual skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colouring books for adults is something akin to a grown-up daycare centre:) They'd do better to learn calligraphy or simply copy passages out of a book, as writing appears to be good for your brain and nervous system, too. I remember linking to an article on this very topic but feel too lazy right now to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Housewife OutdoorsAugust 8, 2017 at 1:58 AM

    I have just started to write my journal with calligraphy rather than "lettering". I hope I get my words right. You know, I try to write that fancy old-fashioned style we were thought at school. My handwriting has allways been really crappy, my fine motor skills are not that fine at all. But writing like that feels like a give a massage to my brain.

    I also draw a picture to every page. I am really bad at drawing but it is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, my handwriting isn't that great, either:) Several years ago I was seriously studying drawing and went as far as 2 point perspective where I kinda stuck. I recently bought a book which explains it better so eager to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! It definitely does more than just relieve melancholy, it stimulates the mind as you are getting yourself used to multi tasking expertly. Plus, whatever you make has so much more value sentimentally and has a practical purpose. You definitely get many birds with one stone.

    -ThatStepfordGal (the comment thing is still not working for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'm glad you finally figured out a way to comment:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little odd but I did! :)

      -ThatStepfordGal

      Delete
  9. I couldn't agree with you more! Crafting is essential to me. There's nothing more satisfying to me than creating something with my own hands. Great post!

    ReplyDelete